Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Prayer of Intent

I was reading some more of this great book, Saints to Lean on: Spiritual Companions for Illness and Disability by Janice McGrane S.S.J. and just had to share some of what I read. I suggest you get a copy of this book for yourself, if you haven't already.

Prayer of intent That's the kind of prayer that seems to come most naturally for me. An inclination to offer up everything, small and big, to be one unending prayer. I often fail to bring this to mind though or I wonder if anything really does have any meaning - does this "offering up" really work? But still it is my intention, the intention of my heart seeking God and my desire to love. I think it is amazing to know that prayer does not have to be said, or expressed exactly, doesn't have to be mental or verbal to mean anything, it can be expressed through actions, through love. Of course too, God knows everything! He can understand what we are trying to say, without the need for words or it all being dependent on our ability to focus. It's not about our "power" either, it's about His power, for we aren't the ones who make things happen, God does. Often times you or I might fail at being able to pray, because of pain, sickness, mental strain, distress, fatigue... but all of it can be "offered up" and can always be a prayer. Of course, when we are able it is good to get in time for other kinds of prayer, but always remember that your very life can be a prayer. And I believe if we have a life of this prayer of intent, any other times we pray, no matter how long or short, will be a very deep, meaningful and grace-filled time.

Now on to some excerpts from the book. It comes from the chapter Caryll Houselander, Our Companion in Mental Illness. Part of it was written by Janice McGrane, and part of it quoting Caryll Houselander. I've never heard of this Caryll Houselander until I found out about her in this book. Wikipedia says she was a lay Roman Catholic ecclesiastical artist, mystic, popular religious writer and poet. She was born in 1901 and died in 1954 from cancer.

When we pray, we can let the pain of our lives be the very thing to connect us to Jesus. This is not always easy, but it definitely makes the suffering we go through in life have meaning.

In one letter to a young friend who was dealing with an eating disorder, Caryll advised: Let every meal be a prayer, every hour of sleep, every denial of an impulse to overdo things you feel a compulsion to - and believe me, you will at one and the same time cure yourself and cure the sufferings of the world. 

Rather than stressing mental or verbal prayer, both of which require the ability to concentrate for a length of time, Caryll wisely advised her devoted correspondents of the value of the prayer of intent: "You should 'pray without ceasing' - but not verbal prayer, not mental prayer, but the prayer of the body and the prayer of acceptance and immolation. Say only one prayer a day; the morning offering... is ideal.
Then let your prayer to be simply your offering of yourself to do God's will, to rest and relax in him and to offer everything you do as a prayer.

Wise spiritual advice for anyone - to offer once's whole self - every action, struggle, physical or emotional pain, indeed, every single breath to God. Then you are sure that you are in communion with God in every moment of every day. 
Like Thérèse de Lisieux, a saint for whom she had great respect, Caryll Houselander was aware of the tremendous spiritual power inherent in even the most mundane actions of daily life. 

When we are conscious of God's great love for us, then we know that the pains and joys we experience each day are cared about deeply. And Jesus smiles with joy when we give over our sufferings, both the great and the small, to be united with his for "healing the wounds of the world." 
I think the idea to say a morning prayer is a good one, especially on days where you may not be feeling so well, and all you can do is just that. Here is my favorite, which I try to say often.


Good morning dear Jesus, my Savior, 
Good morning dear Mary, my Queen, 
Good morning bright Angels, fair sentinels 
Of Jesus who dwells here unseen, 
Dear Lord, I bring you red roses 
All wet with the dew of your grace. 
Every thought, every word, every action 
And my heart I give for their vase. 
This offering I make through your mother 
Whose heart is so sinlessly white, 
Whiter than wings of the angels 
Who watched and prayed here all night. 
One favor, sweet Jesus, I ask of you, 
Inflame my poor heart with your love 
So while I toil in this valley 
My spirit may dwell far above.
Amen.

One must not think that a person who is suffering is not praying. He is offering up his sufferings to God, and many a time he is praying much more truly than one who goes away by himself and meditates his head off, and, if he has squeezed out a few tears, thinks that is prayer. -St. Teresa of Avila

Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. -1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words. -Romans 8:26

Rejoice in your hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. -Romans 12:12

Grace be with all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with love undying. -Ephesians 6:24

No comments:

Post a Comment